Saturday, February 23, 2008

Week 5 - Top News

According to a story on MSNBC, a woman was awarded $9M after being dropped from her health insurance provider in 2004. When Patsy Bates, 52, found out that she had breast cancer, her health insurance, Health Net Inc., dropped her coverage and left her with more than $129,000 in unpaid hospital bills.

On Friday, arbitration judge, Sam Cianchetti ruled in favor of Ms. Bates, and awarded her million of dollars in punitive damages.

This story really hits home with me. Upon reading about her situation, I put myself in her place, and I immediately connected with her. Being diagnosed with cancer, and going through ridiculous amounts of treatment would already be more than I could bear. But then, to be dropped from your insurance, in the middle of care, is an absolute atrocity. I for one hope this sets an example for the rest of the insurance agencies worldwide.

"Obviously we regret the way that this has turned out, but we are intent on fixing the processes to maintain the public trust," spokesman David Olson said.

How can you drop someone when they actually need something in return? Most of the time you get free money from the rest of us that are in good health. You mean to tell me, you don't have a few hundred thousand lying around that you could give to people that actually, truly need it? Unacceptable. Perhaps we do need national health coverage like the other countries?

This story definitely has impact, because there are only a small percentage of people who do not have health insurance. I would say this story also has currency as well, seeing as how the hot topic with the candidates now is health care. And finally this story also has conflict. When the little person goes up against the big company, the outcome usually isn't favorable.

Link found here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23307983/

1 comment:

camccune said...

To the news values you've listed (a good list, by the way), I'd add "emotion/human interest."

Be more sparing with your commas, please. For example:

Upon reading about her situation, I put myself in her place and I immediately connected with her. Being diagnosed with cancer and going through ridiculous amounts of treatment would be more than I could bear. But to then be dropped from your insurance in the middle of care is an absolute atrocity.

9/10

P.S. Stories like this are one reason I think the current campaign focus on providing health insurance for everyone is misguided. What we need is access to health care. As this story shows, having insurance doesn't always give you access to care...not when insurance companies can deny you coverage or care.